Sunday, August 05, 2007

Measure in Love?

I'm very confused about this new West End Rent. First of all--the Variety story says each song will be "individually re-orchestrated according to each character" and I'm simply not sure what that means. Seriously. Someone out there please post a comment and explain. But, more importantly I suppose, I'm not really sure why the producers of the New York production would allow this to happen. (I'm assuming, though I don't know there exact deal with the Larson estate, that it was their choice.)

I guess the argument for it would be that any West End Rent is a good Rent. Plus, there is the quick money aspect to it.

But my argument against it is as follows--if that production gets rave reviews, isn't the New York production going to look the worse in comparison? And does this Rent need another hit? Also, purely on the direct financial side, I assume if there is, let's say, a Tokyo production of this new Rent, then the NY producers would get less money than if there was a Tokyo production of original Rent. Now, again, under the 'any Rent is a good Rent' umbrella, it could be argued that without a new well-received Rent, there wouldn't be any Tokyo production so that is an upside to this new production. However, I am of the belief that international productions of Rent have still not wained, so there would be a Tokyo production regardless. Thus this new version just has the potential to cost the NY people cash. This is all not to mention that having a new production of such prominence basically will amount to a bunch of articles alleging there is a need for a new Rent--that the old Rent isn't good enough anymore...

So, yeah, I don't get it. Why did no one get a quote from the NY producers about it? That would be something at least.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all--the Variety story says each song will be "individually re-orchestrated according to each character" and I'm simply not sure what that means. Seriously.

Sounds like a euphemism for "we're gonna do this John Doyle-style."

Moxie said...

That particular quote strikes me as confusing and possibly obnoxious - um, weren't the songs originally orchestrated with consideration for the characters?

Anonymous said...

I did a little research into the director/creator, William Baker. He is formerly a "stylist" for popular musicians, and has served as creative director for highly theatrical concert tours. Given that history and his quote about it being a “digital production for a digital world — more a pop opera than a rock opera.” It sounds more like a concert version of Rent. All very vague but it could be interesting...

carajoy said...

I love the pictures because the case looks like they are on a CW show!

Anonymous said...

When a score is "re-orchestrated," it means it's being recalibered to fit the voice of the person singing it. Nothing huge; most likely simple key changes, or, at most, sliding around a note or two.