Monday, May 22, 2006

A postmortem

I'm a little behind on this posting, I know. It's been a long week though, so you'll all forgive me.

Very few people care what I think of the nominations (like very few people care about my reviews). So I'm just going to say that I was most surprised about Alison Pill and leave it at that.

I do want to spend some time talking about the lack of a replacement Tony Award. As anyone who reads this blog knows, I certainly know enough to speak on this matter. I do not believe at all that only 16 of the 24 Administration Committee attended Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. That figure just doesn't jive with the research I did. But, based on how the award is decided (requiring a minimum amount of votes, as it does), anything less than 24 members attending is completely unfair to the people eligible. End of story.

I have a great deal of respect for the members of the Administration Committee I know and I blame no one in that group for the issues with the execution of the award this year. This rule was simply was not well thought out. It was never clear who should get it or how it was being awarded. I mean, I posted all the previous stuff about it for a reason--because no one understood it. And, sadly, members of the Administration Committee I have spoken to also had competing views about who should receive it. Without clear guidelines, these things are always a disaster. Before next year, I hope the policies become better defined or the category is eliminated altogether. As it stands now, it is just not worth this mess.