Friday, May 05, 2006

A Reference Guide

Anyone who knows me knows that Donna Lynne Champlin is one of my very favorite people. So I want to take this moment to tell everyone who didn't get my email that they should trek over to Ars Nova on Monday night for her Broadway Spotlight show. She's apparently going to let people pick stories out of a hat. I'm not sure I understand that concept, but I am sure it will be entertaining. I'll also personally try to be amusing before and after, though I'm not sure how... Buy tickets!

Okay, now since the Drama Desk nominations people have been calling and emailing me asking what certain shows are. I have no idea why they would do this rather than searching on the web themselves, but, they do. So, for all of you, a handy reference guide...

Nominated for: OUTSTANDING PLAY
What: Warren Leight's No Foreigners Beyond this Point
Huh?: Yeah, I didn't remember it either. But this play, based on Leight's own experiences teaching English in China in 1980, played at 45 Below in the fall. I am impressed that the Drama Desk people recalled it.

Nominated for: OUTSTANDING REVIVAL
What: The Traveling Lady
Huh?: Horton Foote has had a good year. This is another one of his works, presented at the Ensemble Studio Theater.

Nominated for: OUTSTANDING ACTOR
What: Vince Gatton for Candy & Dorothy
Huh?: This show happened at Theatre 3 (someone hipper than me would know where that is) in January. It centered on Warhol superstar Candy Darling and Catholic crusader Dorothy Day. Someone who had seen it would probably make better sense of that.

Nominated for: OUTSTANDING SOLO PERFORMANCE
What: Janis Stevens for Vivien
Huh?: A show about Vivien Leigh at the American Theatre of Actors. I wish I had known about it when it was running--I would have gone.

Nominated for: UNIQUE THEATRICAL EXPERIENCE
What: Christine Jorgensen Reveals
Huh?: I have a personal attachment to this show and its New York Times-certified star Bradford Louryk. But, even if I didn't, I'd recommend it. In New York, Christine Jorgensen Reveals played at 59E59, Dodger Stages and Theatre Row. It features Louryk lip-syncing to a recording of Christine Jorgensen. I know it doesn't sound good, but it is (and it's short).

Nominated for: UNIQUE THEATRICAL EXPERIENCE
What: The Frog Bride, Golden Dragon Acrobats, Rain and The Stones
Huh?: All at the New Victory. Enough said.

Nominated for: UNIQUE THEATRICAL EXPERIENCE
What: Peer Gynt
Huh?: This Ibsen revival was done by BAM in April and was apparently very bizarre and touching. I don't know anyone who saw it.

Okay? Everyone happy now? So you don't even have to search the web. That's it. I didn't go out post-theater so I could sleep and now I shall.

No comments: