Saturday, March 25, 2006

60% cara

Since my wallet was stolen yesterday, I have not been quite 100% cara. Sort of nowhere close. Thus this is a good time for me not to post any of my own original thoughts and instead provide an excerpt of that one tiny Billy Finnegan play I am a character in, thus promoting his genius. I believe it sort of sums up the hapless nature of my week... and the positive outlook that will hit soon. (NOTE: In this play I am a stalker, despite the fact that in real life I just could not be that committed to anything.)

JEFF
Excuse me?

KIMBERLY
Hello.

(Kimberly passes. Jeff catches up to her.)

JEFF
Uh, I said, excuse me. Are you following me?

KIMBERLY
I think you’re following me.

(Kimberly walks away)

JEFF
No. Wait! Excuse me! You were just following me. I saw you.

KIMBERLY
I’m in front of you, how could I be following you?

JEFF
What is this, the Literal Olympics? You’ve been behind me the last ten blocks, I saw you. I turned around on 31st Street, and you ducked behind a planter.

KIMBERLY
I dropped my comb.

(Kimberly takes out a comb, combs her hair)

JEFF
On 35th, I turned around and you hid behind a mailbox.

KIMBERLY
I was mailing a letter. To my mother. Who told me never to talk to strangers.

JEFF
What did she say about following them?

KIMBERLY
Nothing.

JEFF
This isn’t the first time I’ve seen you either. I saw you last week. And the week before. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were stalking me.

KIMBERLY
Why would I stalk you? Are you famous?

JEFF
Well. No.

KIMBERLY
Who are you?

JEFF
I’m a playwright. Jeff Samuels.

KIMBERLY
Never heard of you. Sorry.

(Kimberly turns to walk away, Jeff sees something in her bag.)

JEFF
Hey. Wait a second. What’s that?


KIMBERLY
(knows she’s caught) What?

JEFF
That. In your bag.

(before she can resist, Jeff grabs a book out of her bag)

KIMBERLY
Hey!

(Jeff holds up a copy of one of his plays aloft in victory.)

JEFF
Ah-ha! Never heard of me, huh?

(Kimberly takes out a camera, takes his picture)

JEFF
(reacting to the flash in his eyes) Ow.

KIMBERLY
You know, having a stalker has its upside. Companionship. And attention. Don’t you like attention?

JEFF
So you are stalking me.

KIMBERLY
Let’s just say… What if I were… pursuing you? In a very persistent manner. What if I
were persistently pursuing you? Would that be so bad? Am I so hideous that even the thought of seeing me now and again when I’m a little off my game, is that so awful? Hath not a stalker eyes? If you prick us, do we not bleed? Stalkers have bad days too, you know.

JEFF
Persistent pursuers.

KIMBERLY
Right. I didn’t have to pick you. Robert Altman lives right down the block from me. He’s in the movie business, I could have picked him. I’m sure he’d love to have a stalker.

JEFF
I- You know what? Knock yourself out. Stalk me. Stalk away.

KIMBERLY
I’m not stalking you! Haven’t you been listening?

JEFF
OK. OK. Calm down. Maybe I confused you with someone else.

KIMBERLY
Oh, so now I’m so ordinary I’m easily interchangeable?

JEFF
What’s your name?

KIMBERLY
Kimberly. I love your work. Your plays really speak to me. Your last play- Oh… That awful Times critic, I could kill him! Really, I could! After what he wrote about you… To call you a commercial sell-out AND a pretentious bore- If I ever get my hands on him…

JEFF
I’m sure he’d be very much the worse for wear.

KIMBERLY
You can say that again. (holding up a key) This is the key to his apartment.

JEFF
You’re kidding, right?

KIMBERLY
I’ll be better, I promise. You won’t see hide nor hair of me. Oh, duh. I used nor without preceding it by neither, in front of you! Bad, Kimberly, bad, bad! (slaps her own wrists)

JEFF
I promise not to look back, how about that?

(Jeff slowly exits as she babbles on)

KIMBERLY
OK! Thanks! Good idea! Until I’m full force again. I’m only about half-Kimberly right now. Diet is important, I sometimes forget. But I’ll be full force again soon!

No comments: