Wednesday, June 06, 2007

You Live in a World of Your Own

I've had a fairly long day--and at least one of you out there knows why--so I was happy when I realized I had already given today's blog post away. I will say as my small part that I have spoken to 79 Tony voters in the last two weeks and done and informal poll in all major categories and, while there have been very few surprises, I do have many more people voting for David Hyde Pierce (yay) than Raul Esparza (whatever). Now that could just be the result of the fact that my Tony voters have taste and then we'll see Sunday that most of the rest don't, but, it could also forshadow Sunday's events. I hope that's what it is.

And, also, a note about Sunday... I will try to post my biggest surprise that night, but, I won't be home until mid-award show and then I have some parties I might attend, so I don't know how exhausted I'll be. So, if there isn't a post first thing Monday, forgive me.

Anyway... and now... without further ado.

GUEST BLOGGER:

Best Play
The Coast of Utopia

Best Musical
Spring Awakening

Best Book of a Musical
Spring Awakening - I don't see Grey Gardens as a contender in this category the way some do, and I'm reminded of 1992 when everyone thought Jelly's Last Jam would win book, but Falsettos won both.

Best Original Score
Spring Awakening

Best Revival of a Play
Journey's End

Best Revival of a Musical
Company - I think 110 in the Shade could win. But I guess Company will. Alas.

Best Special Theatrical Event
Jay Johnson: The Two and Only - Kiki could win though.

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Play
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Play
Eve Best, A Moon for the Misbegotten - I think anyone except Swooze could win, though Angela is unlikely because Deuce is so dreadful. That leaves Best, Vanessa and Julie White. I fear that not enough people actually saw White, so that leaves Redgrave and Best to duke it out. I think Best bests Nessa.

Best Performance By a Leading Actor in a Musical
David Hyde Pierce, Curtains - I know, I'm living in a dream world. But I'm sorry, Raul Esparza is BAD in Company. He totally misses the point of "Being Alive" - it's about discovering something, moron, not staying morose! - and overall it was the most self-indulgent performance ever. He makes Kevin Spacey seem giving. But, I think what will happen is, the lemmings will all vote for Esparza, and the people with taste will actually be split among Pierce, Gavin Lee - he dances upside down, people! - and Jonathan Groff, who actually could sneak in and win. So, really, I should predict Raul Esparza, but I just can't. Just can't.

Best Performance By a Leading Actress in a Musical
Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens - I know, I've been shouting Audra Ann's name since August. But I don't think she'll pull it off. Kudos to Cara Joy's Mikey for the Witchel piece on Ebersole in this Sunday's Times magazine, by the way.

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Play
Anthony Chisholm, Radio Golf - or Billy Crudup. He could win. But Tony loves an August Wilson featured performance! Laurence Fishburne. Ruben Santiago-Hudson. Viola Davis. Anthony Chisholm.

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Play
Jennifer Ehle, The Coast of Utopia - I fear that not enough people saw the very talented Martha Plimpton in The Coast of Utopia, Part 80 - what was it called? Catastrophe? Coma? - so they will pick Ehle for her lovely performance in Part 1 and her role in Part 2 (which was better than her performance, but maybe she got better.)

Best Performance By a Featured Actor in a Musical
John Gallagher, Jr., Spring Awakening

Best Performance By a Featured Actress in a Musical
Mary Louise Wilson, Grey Gardens - I'm actually looking forward to seeing her win more than anyone. She is great in the show, and SHE is the epitome of someone who's been around for years and deserves it, not the Raul Esparzas of the world. He's been around for 7 years, people! 7 LONG years, yes. But Ms. Wilson was in Flora, the Red Menace. 1965. More than 7 years. DESERVED. Can't wait... Oh, someone on Gold Derby picked Orfeh, which I loved.

Best Direction of a Play
Jack O'Brien, The Coast of Utopia

Best Direction of a Musical
Michael Mayer, Spring Awakening

Best Choreography
Matthew Bourne and Stephen Mear, Mary Poppins

Best Orchestrations
Jonathan Tunick, LoveMusik

Best Scenic Design of a Play
Bob Crowley & Scott Pask, The Coast of Utopia

Best Scenic Design of a Musical
Bob Crowley, Mary Poppins

Best Costume Design of a Play
Catherine Zuber, The Coast of Utopia

Best Costume Design of a Musical
Bob Crowley, Mary Poppins

Best Lighting Design of a Play
Brian MacDevitt, Kenneth Posner, and Natasha Katz, The Coast of Utopia

Best Lighting Design of a Musical
Kevin Adams, Spring Awakening

No comments: